Friday, September 22, 2017

11 - Writers Block

I like to walk. I tend to walk at least 10k steps a day and when I walk, is usually when my ideas come to me. For some reason today, the idea would come in and simply run down my mind like a small mountain stream. Knowing this makes me walk more but nothing came.

So here I sit , cup of tea with honey steaming out of my Mad Hatters cup, playing with a small plastic monkey, that is used to adorn the tops of Margarita’s from a Local Mexican restaurant near my house. Perhaps I could write about, a land torn in two by the death of a king? A son who could never please his father and the daughter he admired. Locked in a land battle that tears their nation apart. Perhaps the thing to write about is a creature from the abyss. A creature that cant be killed only placated. A creature that reaches into your mind and frightens you to death. Not because it needs to, simply because it can.

I decided to pick a topic and watch a youtube video on that topic. What did I chose? Ancient civilizations and how they made their structures. After browsing youtube for approximately ten minutes I found a video about a singular society that ruled most of the known world ~10,000 years ago. What most people might want to call Atlantis and how structures from around the ancient world are all connected. It was very cool to watch. I ended up doing some additional research on the speaker, it turns out that he has never had a published paper or journal article. Many of his claims are deeply disputed by researchers including noted Egyptologist, because the speaker likes to take facts that work to his premise and simply dismiss other facts. A simple example: Using temple locations to show that our ancient ancestors build to reflect the constellations. Except, that he only used enough temples in the area to act as stars and ignored all the other temples in the area that if taken into account , does not show constellations.
The idea was still deep into my brain because it feels right that there was some kind of great society that can connect humankind. The best evidence that they talked about is the Great flood mythos. How in many parts of the world, after the last ice age, did have dramatic flooding which could have raised the coast by 30+ feet. Most major civilizations had some form of this myth in their past and they are all very similar. I ended up watching three additional videos this week that all had similar themes. Well… regarding egypt's fall.
So while those videos were super interesting they didn’t tickle my fancy enough to think of 1000 words to write about. I could have just written a paper about how much I enjoyed them, but that did not seem to fit my fancy either.
I went to the Chiropractor as well. I have only gone twice but so far im enjoying it. Something that I really like when I get a massage or when I was doing physical therapy and now the chiropractor is that i am forced to just lay down and relax. It is just not something I get to do very often and one of those things I have trouble with in my life in general. With a full range of movies and music and videos and games at my fingertips it is hard to force myself to just relax and be OK doing nothing. This is something that also applies to my writing, I am forcing myself to sit down everyday and do this.

The ability to just sit and do nothing really ignites my imagination and while I did have multiple stories in my head that will eventually make its way to this blog nothing was igniting me to write now. I wonder if that is just how writers block works, you write and write but nothing you feel is good enough to show anyone. Well, I am showing all of you. I hope you find this entertaining or at least interesting. Take care till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment