Friday, October 13, 2017

29 - People in cars at lunch

People today are alone. We live in the most connected society ever. Most people in the first world can pull a metal and silicon tablet out of their pocket and after pressing it a few times can contact just about any place in the world. Human beings are social creatures and having this technology seems like a great thing, I can speak to my wife pretty much whenever I even think of it, I can use a program to see where she is at all times, heck I can even use a program that helps me find the best route to drive my car that is updated by hundreds of other people every minute. So why is it that when I take my lunchtime walk I see people in their cars alone?
The man in the white convertible. He is parked facing north under some shade, but not a lot. He is using his phone to watch some kind of field sport, probably football or soccer. He eats a small sandwich and drinks a soda. It's a hot day and this man would rather be alone watching something on his phone then eating outside or with people or inside a breakroom. Is his work so draining and demanding that the only way he can get away for a few minutes is to actually leave the building? I see him quite often and he's always in his car watching his phone.
In the South Western corner of the lot there is a White Luxury car. In it sleeps a an asian woman. I see her sleeping in her car so often, including the morning and afternoons when I walk, I think she may be living in her car. Of all the times I have seen this woman, I believe she has only seen me twice. Once when I actually caught (saw) her walking to her car. The other time she was using her makeup mirror to adjust herself after a nap. There is no shade in this corner and in the summer it's incredibly hot, but she sleeps the day away.
The most unused part of the parking lot is in the South East, no one parks there or if someone is parked their, its probably because they are a workman doing work on the lot. But from time to time, a man drives his White SUV there and he gets high. I know because the aroma spews forth like the car is coughing. What it must be to feel like you have to take your medicine during lunch and hiding in the back of the lot. Oddly, I have encountered this multiple times with people who were not in cars and just hiding in the back of the lot.
The north west lot generally has the least amount of activity. But if there are people there, they are in their cars talking on their phones, which is something I have done before.

Our complex has a great commissary and beautiful eating area outside with fountains and a coffee tent . I wonder what makes these people feel like being in their car is better. I will continue to walk and wonder at these types of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment