He looked down on her body, wearing the dress she wore that day in the field. Tears rolled down his eyes and he lets out only a small cry. She was dead and there was no bringing her back. He had done everything in his power to get to her in time and it was not enough. The wound, covered by the dress was small and delivered by the ancient enemy.
“Im sorry, my love.” Sobs now fell from his lips. “ I am sorry I could not have been there for you. Everything in my life was easy and without work. I was not prepared for the hate that the enemy brought. It was your love that gave me strength to fight and now that love is gone. What am I to do? How can I stand against the darkness without my light?”
He fell to his knees and continue to cry. The empty shrine echoed with his longing. The stone creatures looked on in silence. They once protected this shrine at the end of the world from those who would destroy it. But they, like his love are now gone.
Outside the sun starts to break from the clouds and shines in through the great window. A depiction of the goddess Maloria , the one who brings life. As the rays climb up the walkway to the altar, they appear to jump to her. A small beam of light gets brighter and brighter and soon envelopes her body.
He looks up and sees the body beginning to glow and stands up. He takes two steps backward and wipes the tears from his face.He then gets his wits together and lunges to the body. “What is happening!?” he yells to the window. “Tell me what to do!” he cries with new tears streaming down his face. He then feels a vibration, distant at first but soon it becomes an audible hum. Vibrating the pillars of the Shrine creating the illusion that the creatures are waking up.
Then she awakens. But it is not she, only her image made in the light. She is beautiful as she was in life. Her hair falls over her shoulders as she gets up and turns to him. “Do not cry my love. Do not mourn my death. I know that you did everything you could to stop them and it was my choice to hold them back so you could fulfill your destiny. I was chosen to hold back the darkness just as you were chosen to bring back the light. My task is done.” She slowly brings her hands to his face and raises his head so their eyes can meet. He looks into her eyes, through her eyes and sees the infinite stars. The site is both terrifying and comforting.
“What am I supposed to do now? I am alone…..without you. This place is beautiful as you said it would be, will it be my grave as well?” She smiled at him and said “You will never be alone my love, we will always be with you hear .” and she pressed her astral hand to his heart, “And here” and then pressed her hand to his head. “You task her is not yet finished. I have held back the darkness for now, but it is you who must return the light. Gather your strength, leave this place, and bring light back to the world. You know what must be done. “ Then, the astral form stood up from the altar and out of the body slowly walked over to him, and embraced him. The warm light surrounded him and filled him with hope. He now understood that everything she had said had been truth. They were both part of some greater idea and that idea would only be fulfilled if he continued on alone. “Not alone” her voice said deep within his heart. “ I will be with you and our friends are on there way. I have called them.”
He broke the embrace. “How can that be? They were killed when the mountain fell.” He wiped the tears again from his face. “I saved them after I fell. I was granted three requests by Maloria, the first was to remove our friends from danger so they could help you on your quest. They are on their way here now. They have seen this shrine in their thoughts and are looking for it as we talk.” There was complete surprise on his face, he was not so alone in this world. “The second request was to be able to speak to you one last time in death since we were not able to talk in life. Now that the request has been fulfilled my time is up and I have to return.” “Noooo!” he cried, “Please stay with me. At least till they arrive.” She looked off into the eyes of Maloria. After a what seemed like an eternity she looked back at him. “I have been allowed to stay. Now , come let us sit together on this step like when we were young. Let me embrace you one last time.”
As they embraced the tears came back to him. These were tears of joy and happiness instead of sorrow and dread. He knew that he would be able to face the darkness and bring the light and that it was all because of her. Her love for him. He felt like a giant weight had been lifted from his heart and soon he drifted off , to the infinite space of sleep and dreams. As he did, she leaned over and whispered “I love you.” The clouds soon covered the sun again and the rays of light became scattered and she faded away, leaving him in a deep sleep. Soon his friends would come and they would have to face the darkness.
No comments:
Post a Comment