Monday, October 2, 2017

20 - The Shadow Men

And then they came for me. Silent shadows in the deep crevices of the night. They had no eyes but to me they came. I was frozen still in my bed, my wife asleep at my side. There was no escaping them this time. Soon they surrounded me, a dark abyss that stared into my soul. I tried to scream, again I tried to move. It was no use, I was no leaving this spot and they were going to do whatever it was they wanted. I saw my wife’s sleeping form out of the corner of my eye. I could not let these creatures get to her like they got to me.
My thoughts and feelings for her seemed to break me from my daze. I was no longer stuck and I jumped ontop of her and should “ My Love run! I will stop them but you have to get the kids and leave!” I turned away from her and back at the figures as they looked on from the end of the bed. Sweat dripped down my forehead into my eyes there was no where to go, we were trapped by these creatures. I closed my eyes… SLAP
“Nick, wake up your dream! I’m alright and you are OK to. Please just lay down and go back to sleep.”
I was jarred awake. It was still dark and the covers were off me in bed. My right arm was over my wife in a protective gesture. “What do you mean?” I said with a lost sort of drowsiness. “ I don’t understand, where did they go? Are you safe?” “Yes Dear i’m safe. You were dreaming again. You woke me up by hitting me and then when I tried to rouse you from your sleep you were going on about figures and how they come from the deep shadows. Are you OK?”
I was not OK. “I...think.. I’m fine.” I said to her. “I’m going to get a glass of water and move around a bit. Go back to sleep dear.” I got up and put on my Yoda themed bath robe, it always made me chuckle cause the hood had Yoda ears, and went downstairs. I went into the kitchen and grabbed a glass cup from the cupboard and got a small glass of ice water. I drank it down and then headed to the bathroom to splash water on my face. The water felt cool and washed away any further sleep I might have had hidden.
I walked into my office and started up the computer. I was not going to be getting anymore sleep tonight. I brought up some videos from my favorite Youtube channels and just relaxed in my chair. The shadow men….that was the name I gave them when I was young. Once when I was sick my parents had to rush me to the hospital because I was seeing them in my sleep and they could not get me to wake up. I was burning with fever that time and being in the car with the windows down in the middle of winter was enough to wake me up. Night terrors is what the doctor called them, sleep terror is another name for it. The doctor assured my parents that I would eventually grow out of them. I did not. Since the birth of my first child they have grown worse and more frequent. My current doctor says they are simply caused by stress, maybe they are right.
The shadows grow deeper as dawn approaches and the rest of the world starts to wake up. Soon my wife and child will be awake and the world of day will start again. I am starting to fear what will happen when the world of shadows falls back down upon us tonight and I lay down and go to sleep. The creatures haunt my dreams and my thoughts. I wonder if that is how they work, start in dreams and then take over your waking mind. Maybe they hide in the shadows of my thoughts, waiting for the right time to jump out and take over.
I started looking into it on the internet and came across a strange site.It tells the story similar to mine about others who were attacked and taken over by the shadow creatures. There were no real ending to these stories as the people simply disappeared. I wonder what happened to them. I will be looking into this site further after my wife and child go to sleep. I do not want them knowing that these dreams bother me so much.  For now I will enjoy the light and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment